Waiting For The Delivery Man.

I am in,

I can’t go out,

until the delivery man has been about.

It is raining out there. I would probably be in anyway.

But it’s somehow worse when you have to stay.

I have run out of cake. I have started to swear. I have a small snotty grump bag who needs some fresh air.

Hang on….

Nope. My mistake, the van outside is not for me.

Waiting. Waiting. One hour. Two hours. Three.

Drum fingers on the table top.

Stop the small man from having a strop.

Put the kettle on. EVEN THO I am not called Polly.

Make coffee. Forget coffee. Microwave coffee. Drink coffee.

Put some washing on.

Take some washing out.

Pout.

Tock Tick. Time does NOT go quick when you are waiting for the delivery man.

I cannot even make a plan.

I do not know when he is due.

I dare not even go to the loo.

For fear that as I park my bum the doorbell rings.

Another noise gives me hope.

Pull back the curtain. Nope.

Nobody is waiting at the door.

I don’t want to wait anymore.

tick tock. slow clock.

HOORAY! He has been, he has been.

Like a child on Christmas morning I dance with joy.

The parcel is here with Syd’s new toy.

We could go out now, but it looks a bit grim.

Lets open the parcel and stay in.

Share:

16 Comments

1. Marilynn
    March 8, 2013 / 12:21 pm

A thoroughly entertaining piece of writing! I could really feel the extent of your cabin fever-esque angst!

• Sonya Cisco
      March 8, 2013 / 12:32 pm

I hate being stuck in! Thank you!

2. sabrina montagnoli
    March 8, 2013 / 12:30 pm

Lol! I am so bad at poetry…how do you do it? It’s always the same you want to go out when you can’t and well a watch pot just never boils…What is the toy?

• Sonya Cisco
      March 8, 2013 / 12:34 pm

Its Duplo, and sshhhhh it hasnt actually arrived yet…but seemed wrong to leave it hanging! I am bad at poetry too- but desperately bored of being stuck in the house, so was reduced to this to pass the time!

3. Anonymous
    March 8, 2013 / 12:31 pm

Ha! Now please can you make my delivery come? Another poem will do 🙂

We’re sitting listening to XTC and I’m desperate for my new phone!!!

(jo again!)

• Sonya Cisco
      March 8, 2013 / 12:35 pm

I lied. Mine isnt here yet. still waiting!
      I met XTC once on Phil Jupitus’s radio show! Holly off of Red Dwarf was there too- the female version, it was a good day!

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2013 / 2:08 pm

Mine STILL isn’t either, it’s very boring. I’ve already predicted it’ll turn up at 4.31 after I’ve left for the weekend. SIGH.

Ooooh I bet that was good – I was saying to Craig here that BBC4 needs to do an XTC documentary – it’s not like they don’t have decades of work to talk about and I bet would be interesting.

We now just have 6 Music on and it’s pretty poor so far…

(jo again)

• Sonya Cisco
      March 8, 2013 / 8:31 pm

My OH would certainly be very glad to watch that doc!! 6 music has its ups and downs, but by far the best option for music radio there is!

• Sonya Cisco
      March 8, 2013 / 8:35 pm

thank you, it is a dull way to spend the day isn’t it!

4. March 8, 2013 / 7:13 pm

It must very a poetry day…i did one too. Not as good but you are uber cool so its OK 😉 xx

• Sonya Cisco
      March 8, 2013 / 8:34 pm

your poem is wonderful, if somewhat sad. want to give you a big hug having read it. xx

5. Livi TeePot
    March 8, 2013 / 8:13 pm

Hahaha! This is brilliant! Certainly rings true for me!

• Sonya Cisco
      March 8, 2013 / 8:35 pm

ace, love knowing it isnt just me who behaves like this!

6. SarahMummy
    March 9, 2013 / 11:06 am

I love this! So very true. Waiting in is the WORST. I don’t dare go upstairs, put on music or hoover in case I miss the doorbell!

7. Emily Foran
    March 11, 2013 / 9:41 pm

Love it – think I’ll put a little tune to it and him to myself when waiting for deliveries x