Michelle at The American Resident has a lovely blog linky going about the place where you live. I joined in a few weeks ago with our favourite river walk, and this weeks theme is about art, and objects and things and stuff that you love inside your home. I have had a fab time nosing round other peoples beautiful houses, so I thought it was only fair that I joined in too!
We live in a rented flat, and as such we cannot make our mark by changing the colours of the walls or the floors, we make it our own with our possessions, and we have a lot of them. No minimalism here! Here are some of my favourite bits and bobs.
Things made by us, sent to us, made for us and that kind of thingyamajig – Irreplaceable!
1) – Our kitchen is of the cheap bland variety, so we have cheered up the cupboard doors by adding postcards and souvenirs. There are cards we have purchased because we liked them, cards sent from far flung destinations by family and friends, tickets for shows we have been to, pictures of me and Max on rollercoasters and some Syd made art!
2) This fab piece of collage art was made for me as a 30th birthday gift by a friend. It pictures the road I lived on for seven years, and was a gift just before I moved away. I love its personal meaning, and its urban vista.
3) Betsy painted this picasso-esque guitar for me at Art Club when she was younger. I love its vibrant colours.
4) Syd’s first ever brought home from playgroup artwork- priceless!
5) I made this heart shaped thingy as a Christmas decoration, but I liked it, so it is still up!
6) This is a snail collage that Betsy made in reception class, over ten years ago now, it had been framed on the wall of various houses ever since.
Music is our thing. As well as a lot of instruments, we also have a lot of music related bits and bobs on the walls.
1) Coloured vinyl singles sit neatly within the frames of our sash windows. I especially love the colour of the blue one when the sun is shining.
2) A bass drum skin from my other half’s first band, they still play now sometimes, after more than 30 years!
3) Music for No Feelings signed by John Lydon and Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols.
4) A frame from ikea that conveniently fits a 12″ by 12″ image, making it perfect to display album artwork. I love the 1960s look of the Foxboro Hot Tubs cover, plus it totally kicks arse as a record too!
5) Gig posters. One that happened, and one that should have. They both occurred when I was about 4, so I was too busy watching Chorlton and The Wheelies to consider attending.
I say collectible, cos that makes it sound worthy and/or valuable. It is just stuff. Random stuff. I LOVE it. Here is an assorted view of some of the toys and bits of crap that we own and display. I keep saying I won’t get anymore. But it is a lie. I love stuff.
1) My Hawaiian patterned lamp and glitter flamingo have recently been joined by a Hula Girl my lovely mate brought me back from San Francisco.
2) Green Day dolls, vinyl box sets, picture discs, an Adam Ant annual and a plastic banana signed by Captain Sensible. Oh and Oscar from Sesame Street. And other assorted crap/treasure.
3) The King.
4) Doctor Who toys. Oh yes. I love the Doctor.
5) Glorious shelf of utter nonsense. The Kenneth Williams talks. Various TV show bits and bobs, chattering teeth, and special coke bottles are amongst the items nestled on this packed and dusty shelf. I NEED a glass display cabinet!!
So that’s my house. Well. Not all of it. My loo is white if you care, and the washing basket is overflowing. My clothes currently live in a pile on the floor while we wait to find the right old wardrobe to replace the broken one. It is cluttered, and a little grubby round the edges, but it is home!