Bbrrrrr – been a bit nippy hasn’t it, and cold weather demands suitable food, which in my mind is soup. This leek and potato soup is very simple, cheap, hearty and my kids will eat it – bonus!!
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 400g leeks
- 800g potatoes
- tablespoon of butter
- Double cream - optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the garlic and leeks and add to a pan with the butter. Soften over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel and dice the potatoes.
- When the leeks have softened, add the potatoes, and just cover with boiling water.
- Simmer for approx 20-30 mins until the potatoes are soft.
- Blend - you can add a tablespoon or two of double cream at this point, but it is still good without.
- If soup seems too thick you can loosen with a little more cream or hot water - or if it is too thin, add some bread and blend again!
- Season to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread.
One of the best things about soup is as you don’t throw away the cooking liquor, you keep more of the goodness. Plus it is a one pot meal, which means less washing up – always a winner with me. Both my boys love homemade soup, and I love that they are getting a good dose of veg while they are warming up!
What are your favourite soup recipes?
Love Miss Cisco XXX