It was my fella’s 50th birthday last weekend, and birthdays call for cake. His favourite is Lemon Drizzle Cake, and if you can’t have your favourite cake on your 50th birthday I am not sure when you can!
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs - beaten
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- zest of 3 lemons
- For the drizzle: juice of 3 lemons
- 75g caster sugar
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- Stir through the lemon zest
- Add the eggs one at a time and incorporate - don't worry if it looks split, the flour will bring it together again.
- Fold in the flour and ground almonds
- Transfer to a greased and lined deep 8" cake tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees for approx 45 mins.
- Once removed from oven leave to cool for 5 mins, then while still in the tin prick a dozen or so small holes across the cake and drizzle with the lemon/sugar solution. Top with a little lemon zest if desired.
- Leave in tin until completely cooled, then remove and serve.
Hard to make a Lemon Drizzle look fancy, I would usually be tempted to make a sandwich version, with lemon curd and buttercream for a special occasion, but my man prefers the more traditional version, so I settled for sparklers to add a little bit of a wow factor.
Yummy. And only the tiniest slither remains now, and it is calling my name,
Love Miss Cisco XXX