I cannot resist a chocolate and cereal fridge cake – cripsies, cornflakes – all good encased in chocolate right! At Easter I use shredded wheat, as it gives a nice nest look – and tastes delicious too. This time I used salted caramel sauce as well as chocolate, and they are utterly delicious!
- 250g salted caramel sauce.
- 150g milk chocolate
- 150 g shredded wheat - crushed. (approx)
- Melt together the chocolate and salted caramel either in a pan over a low heat or in a microwave, stirring every 20 seconds or so.
- Pour the melted mix into a bowl containing the crumbled shredded wheat and stir well.
- Push firmly into cupcake cases, making into a nest shape.
- Add some chocolate eggs to the nests.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour.
I used the golden Galaxy eggs that are available this year, as they look so pretty and make these look almost sophisticated – but colourful eggs would also look pretty. I cheated and used a ready-made salted caramel sauce from Waitrose, but those of you who wish to make it from scratch could use this BBC recipe. As always with this kind of cake, it is a good idea to keep back some of the cereal when first stirring in the melted chocolate mix – sometimes you need a little less, sometimes a little more – must be down to the weather I think, but by holding some back you can judge whether you have the right consistency and adjust accordingly.
So yummy, and also dangerously moreish. And there is plenty of time to make more before Easter!
Love Miss Cisco XXX