My boys are ravenous when they come in from school and always need a snack to see them through until dinner time. Sometimes they raid the snack cupboard for chocolate coated biscuits, sometimes I am the sort of über mum who has healthier homemade cookies ready to go. These particular ones are healthy and easy to make, and a perfect way of using up bananas that are on the turn. These 3 ingredient banana cookies make an ideal after school snack with a glass of milk and are filling enough to tide them over until half past 5 without too much nagging about ‘How much longer?’ dinner is!
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup of oats
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Mash the bananas
- Stir in the oats and peanut butter. Obviously bananas vary, so you may need more or less oats. You are aiming for a wet dough, I add three quarters of the oats then adjust until I am happy.
- Drop large tablespoons of dough onto a greased baking sheet and shape into a rough circle.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 9-12 minutes until lightly brown and set.
- Optional variations:- Why not add some chocolate chips or a spoonful of honey or syrup for a sweeter bake.
Accompanying cookies with milk is not only a good taste combo, but is also a way of getting some dairy into your child’s diet. Dairy foods are a great source of calcium which is vital for good bone development. We have been trying Cravendale this week, their special filtering technique means their milk stays fresh for longer and it has a great clean taste that the kids are really enjoying. I mostly drink my milk with hot water and coffee, my exception being if I am eating anything spicy – did you know milk is the BEST way to cool your mouth when eating anything with chillies in? Unlike water, which can actually make it worse, milk neutralises the chemicals that make you feel like your mouth is on fire, leaving you ready for your next mouthful of vindaloo!
Syd has certainly been enjoying the fresh taste of Cravendale, and I know he is getting an important dose of calcium and more in each glug!
Love Miss Cisco XXX
This post is an entry for BritMums #MilkDrinkersMilk Linky Challenge, sponsored by Cravendale