The lovely people at Leap Frog have sent Syd a Read With Me Scout to review. Scout is a green puppy who reads books with your child. He has 5 interactive spots that respond to touch, and 5 books to read, and Syd loves him.
You can pat his back, kiss his cheek, get him to sing songs with the squeeze of a paw, and most importantly, you can read books with him. He comes supplied with 5 stories, which you choose by pushing the relevant number on his collar. Scout then reads the story with your child, and asks questions to help with their comprehension. A pat on the head says you are ready to turn the page.
The books are designed to teach:-
1) Rhyming—helps children learn about the sounds of language and build phonological awareness,
2) Learn-about—learn about the world through reading and recognize how print carries meaning,
3) Narrative—learn about how stories are put together, with characters, settings, and a sequence of events,
4) Pattern—learn with rhymes, refrains and repetition to predict what comes next, and
5) Concept—explore concepts like colors to label and classify new information.
And there are over 70 variations of question/responses from Scout during the stories. Syd is really enjoying Scout, and takes him to bed (there is a special sleep mode where he will read/sing stories with less interaction required). I think at 2 and a half Syd is the perfect age group for this toy.
The stories are relatively short and simple, and an older child may soon tire of them, but at 2-3 years old, repetition is a much loved thing, as well as an important learning tool. I think it would be nice if they added an option to buy more books, (which would probably involve adding a way of using cartridges or something!) , but I still think we will get plenty of use before he gets to the point where it is too simple.
I love the way Scout involves Syd in the book by asking questions, it helps engage him with what is going on, and checks his understanding. It is also very sweet watching him chat away to his puppy, as demonstrated in this video clip….
Scout is also available in purple- named Violet, and costs around the £30 mark, which is reasonable value for a clever electronic pal, and he has been a big hit with us!
Love Miss Cisco XXX