I bought some new cookie cutters the other day. Yes, that makes me sound very homely doesn’t it….until you realise they were Mexican Day of the Dead skull ones! Look how fab they are….
Well obvs new cookie cutters is a great reason to make cookies (even though I was supposed to be starting a diet..again!) so Syd and I made some simple shortbread ones. Yes, I am planning on attempting to make fabulous coloured icing versions of the skulls at some point, but that will be when I don’t have the help of a three year old! On this occasion I stuck to giving them chocolate bean eyes, and Syd decorated his own cookie shapes with chocolates too.
- 150g plain flour
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 100g Butter
- Pre-heat oven to 170/gas mark 3
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Using your hands rub ingredients together.
- When mixture looks crumbly squeeze into a ball of dough.
- For simple cookies roll into little ping pong sized balls (mix is enough for about 24), pop onto a baking tray and press flat OR
- Roll out the dough to about 5mm thick and use cutters to make shaped cookies and pop onto a baking sheet.
- Cook in pre-heated oven for approx 15 mins, until lightly golden.
To decorate we gently pushed chocolate beans into the cookies before they went into the oven, and I think they came out looking not too bad. You can also play about with this recipe – why not add choc chips, coconut or perhaps some ginger powder!
And of course the most important thing is that they tasted good…
Love Miss Cisco XXX