Syd insisted on the purchase of a rather splendid pineapple the other day. I am rather taken with it as an object and am now searching for the perfect ornamental version – but in the mean time the real one needed eating – so we went retro and made a Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
- 100g Pineapple rings - fresh or tinned.
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 6tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200'C/Gas mark 6
- Arrange the pineapple rings in the bottom of a greased/lined 7" cake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix in.
- Fold in the flour
- Stir in the golden syrup
- Pour mixture over the pineapple, making sure they are covered evenly.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown and springy to the touch
In an ideal world I would have gone all out retro and decorated with glacé cherries – but I didn’t have any so it will have to do as is. In a doubly ideal world I would have served it with a spiced rum cream, but I had no cream either, so I settled for a glass of rum on the side – nice and the added bonus of feeling like a pirate!
Love Miss Cisco XXX