Fifty

Fifty. The decade of cardigans, cruises and creaky joints. Well. I have always been partial to a cardigan, a cruise would be a vomit fest due to my wobbly inner ear and my joints have been creaky for a long time. But then again I am only 42, it is my other half, my old man, my partner in crime who hit his golden year yesterday.

fifty cake

When I was a teenager, 50 may as well be dead. Even my parents weren’t that old. But from where I stand now 50 doesn’t sound anywhere near as bad (tho my lovely boyfriend would say that is because I have the pleasure of it being some 7 and a half years in the future!).

He isn’t the first of our mates to hit the milestone, several have trodden that path in recent years – and none of them fits the stereotype my teenage brain would have conjured up. They are young at heart, if slightly less so of face – and they certainly don’t act or dress like the 50 year olds of my grandparents generation.

Our generation is lucky in a way – our parents are the first treading a path of younger older people. They were the teenagers of the 1960s and are not taking older age in a flurry of polyester florals and C&A slacks. My parents are still off to festivals and gigs and travelling Europe every summer in their camper. Not for my mum the shampoo and set my Nans both wore, rather a flattering bob with only a hint of grey. Not for my Dad the trousers with the permanent crease. Their late 60s doesn’t even look like I imagined 50 would when I was young. They have made getting old seem a far less scary place.

But still. Fifty. My boyfriend is 50. I still think he is the sexiest man ever. He isn’t old to me, he is the same man I first met almost 20 years ago. He isn’t buying slacks, his latest clothing purchase was a new Motörhead t-shirt in honour of the dear departed Lemmy. He hasn’t got boring, though we definitely manage less all night drinking sessions these days!

We are grown up and not grown up at the same time. We manage the things that go with the façade of adulthood – jobs and parenting and bill paying. But we also still love the things we did as teenagers. Music mostly. Preferably live. Preferably loud.

Old? Us? Never. But then again, having a 19-year-old really does remind you how old you are. ‘I don’t feel any different than when I was a teenager’ you think. Then you see and listen to actual teenagers and realise quite how far you have come.

That’s the good thing about getting older, you can pick and choose the best bits of youth (well, sadly you can’t pick to keep the same face and figure, but appearance aside!). You can ditch the insecurities and the anxieties, but keep the excitement of hearing that first bar of a favourite song. You learn what is important (love, mostly) and what is less so (money, mostly).

suffragette

He had a fabulous birthday weekend, the most brilliant party. So many great musicians got up and made some noisy noise. He is blessed with awesome friends and family and to see that demonstrated by a room full of amazing people and amazing music was really quite moving for both of us.

He is loved by many, but the most by me and his boys. Happy birthday baby, and remember, 50 year olds are cool,

Love Miss Cisco

Share:

21 Comments

1. February 1, 2016 / 10:58 am

Sounds like you guys have the right idea about ageing. I always thought when you hit 50 you were near death(!), now it’s far less scary. It’s all about how old you feel, and it sounds like you still feel in your 20’s (apart from the all night drinking!) xx

2. February 1, 2016 / 1:40 pm

This post made me very happy to be a little more than 50!

And Happy Birthday to your OH, wishing you both many more years of being cool x
    Looking for Blue Sky recently posted…Overtaken by eventsMy Profile

3. February 1, 2016 / 2:07 pm

Sounds like he had an amazing birthday!
    Age is a state of mind, I think..if you feel old, you’ll look and act old. I’m four years off being fifty but I’m OK compared with the alternative. Embrace it. 🙂 X

4. February 1, 2016 / 5:57 pm

I love the line: ‘I don’t feel any different than when I was a teenager’ you think. Then you see and listen to actual teenagers and realise quite how far you have come.
    I feel like this too (you and I are a similar age!) and a few of my friends have hit 50 which makes me realise quite how young it really is. I hope he embraces his new decade with his sassy young girlfriend by his side!
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted…Being Positive and IntentionalMy Profile

5. February 1, 2016 / 8:59 pm

My husbeast is 50 this year too and I have another seven years yet. I think he is fitter now than he was when we first got married all those years ago.

6. February 1, 2016 / 9:33 pm

Age ain’t nothing but a number…sang some group whose name I can’t recall. I’m fearing the big 40 this year but need to man up and embrace it – and enjoy it! Happy belated birthday to your OH x
    76sunflowers recently posted…Running Diary {Miles for January}My Profile

7. February 1, 2016 / 9:39 pm

What a lovely 50th birthday and you’re absolutely right you can pick and chose the best bits from your youth 🙂

8. February 2, 2016 / 9:07 am

It is funny to think, when we were younger that ages like 50 seemed so old to us, but as we approach them (I’m 40 this year) they actually don’t feel so bad. I know I will grow old, but I also know I’ll never grow up! Young at heart and all that! Happy birthday to your other half! x

9. February 2, 2016 / 11:52 am

What a cool 50 year old your boyf is! Very lucky too to have his lovely family and friends to spend his birthday with. Age is definitely just a number! xx

10. February 2, 2016 / 2:20 pm

What a lovely post! It sounds like he had the best birthday ever. You’re so right that 50 isn’t old any more. In fact, 70 isn’t old for many people. You are as young as you feel (apart from the wrinkles and creaking, of course!).
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…First school rugby matchMy Profile

11. Claire
    February 2, 2016 / 3:37 pm

It is a funny thing the way ages seem so different from far away! It’s just recently hit me that we moved to our last family home when my mum was my age now – 37. But she was a proper grown up with four kids – I’m not remotely a proper grown up and can barely keep plants alive. And now my parents are nearing the age at which my grandparents retired, but don’t seem nearly as old as they were… it’s all very strange!

12. February 2, 2016 / 6:30 pm

Happy Birthday to the “old man” – I always used to think 50 was ancient but now it doesn’t seem that way at all. In fact I don’t think my dad ever got past 50 in my eyes and I don’t think him as old and he is 70 this year. Hope you had a fabulous day
    Kara recently posted…The Return of Heelys!My Profile

13. February 2, 2016 / 10:25 pm

It is very strange how our perceptions of age change as we get older. Happy birthday Sonia’s fella and many happy returns!

14. February 3, 2016 / 11:42 am

Beautifully written piece, happy birthday to your love and may you both enjoy many more adventures and years of fun together.xx

15. February 7, 2016 / 11:06 pm

The husband turned 40 in October and I spent a lot of time thinking then that as a teen 40s and 50s sounded really old and boring. My uncle is in his mid-50s now (as my mum would have been if she was still alive) and is still fun loving and great company, complete opposite to my perception when I was younger. Age really is a funny concept isn’t it?
    Rachel In Real Life recently posted…Cheeky Chap Bedroom InspirationMy Profile

16. February 9, 2016 / 1:54 pm

Aw lovely post. And it’s so true, being older in this century isn’t half as bad is it? (Or am I just saying that as I’m heading that way?!?)